Dangers of Store Bought Toothpaste
One of the things many people gripe about with today’s medicine is its focus on treatment of the disease instead of the prevention of disease. While you may believe store bought toothpaste can be a good preventative way to keep bacteria off your tooth, some of the ingredients are a bit suspicious.
Some of the ingredients in toothpaste, as well as why they may not be good products to use in toothpaste, are listed below:
- Glycerin – Some experts have said glycerin leaves a layer of film on the teeth that may prevent remineralization of the teeth.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate – This is a known carcinogen.
- Saccharin – This is an artificial sweetener in toothpaste.
Tooth Powder: Safe Alternative to Toothpaste
One safe alternative to store bought toothpaste is tooth powder. This simply means using baking soda alone, or combined with a small of salt, to clean the teeth. You can also use products like calcium magnesium mineral powder.
Tooth powder has been used for hundreds of years to detoxify the body. Studies have even found bentonite, one of the ingredients in the tooth powder recipe below, to actually absorb and eliminate toxins.
The best part about tooth powers are they are safe for the entire family, even young children.
One simple recipes for tooth powder is a mixture of coconut oil, baking soda, salt and a drop of an essential oil to make a paste that can be rubbed onto the teeth.
Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
Homemade Toothpaste Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Calcium Magnesium Powder
- 2 tbsp Xylitol
- 2 tsp real Sea Salt
- 20 drops Essential Oil
Homemade Toothpaste Directions:
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in a jar.
Homemade Tooth Powder Recipe
Homemade Tooth Powder Ingredients
- 4 tbsp Bentonite Clay
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tbsp Myrrh Gum Powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground Cloves
- 1/2 tbsp ground Stevia
- 4 drops Essential Oil of your choice
Homemade Tooth Powder Directions
- Add all the ingredients to a jar and shake the jar to combine all the ingredients.
- To use, place the tooth powder on your toothbrush and brush like you normally would.