Natural Bug Repellent Recipes – Safe For Kids
Finding a bug repellent that is safe for kids and adults but also effective can be hard to do. Check out the recipes below for some of the safest, most natural and most effective bug repellents out there.
Natural Bug Repellent Recipe
- 4 oz witch hazel
- 4 oz almond oil
- 15 drops geranium
- 15 drops citronella
- 7 drops eucalyptus
- 7 drops lavender
- 7 drops lemongrass
- 5 drops rosemary
- 5 drops peppermint
- Mix all the ingredients together in a container. The optional ingredients can be added to adjust how the mixture smells. They are not necessary to repel the bugs.
- Apply every three to four hours.
Dried Herbs Natural Bug Repellent Recipe
Dried Herbs Natural Bug Repellent Ingredients:
- 1 cup distilled water
- witch hazel
- 1 tbsp peppermint
- 1 tbsp spearmint
- 1 tbsp citronella
- 1 tbsp lemongrass
- 1 tbsp catnip
- 1 tbsp lavender
- 1 tbsp cloves
Dried Herbs Natural Bug Repellent Directions:
- Boil 1 cup of water and add all the ingredients except for the witch hazel. Mix well and let it cool.
- Strain the herbs and mix the water with 1 cup of witch hazel. Store in a bottle in the fridge to keep it cool.
All Natural Strong Insect Repellent Recipe
If you have a major insect problem, including tons of mosquitoes who will not leave you alone, you might want to use this super strong insect repellent. While it might smell kind of terrible while it is in it’s liquid form, the smell will go away after it dries onto the skin.
All Natural Strong Insect Repellent Ingredients:
- 1 32 ounce bottle apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp dried sage
- 2 tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp dried lavender
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp of dried mint
All Natural Strong Insect Repellent Directions:
- Put all the ingredients into large glass jar that is sealed tightly.
- Store on a shelf and shake well each day for 2 to 3 weeks.
- After 2 to 3 weeks of sitting, strain the herbs and store in spray bottles.
- To use on skin, dilute the repellent with 16 oz of water.
Mosquito Repellents Recipes for Dogs
While all the recipes above are great for everyone in the family, even toddlers and babies, this next one is great for the dog. This recipe will keep the mosquitoes at bay while the dog is outside.
Mosquito Repellent Recipe for a Dog
Mosquito Repellent Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 drops cedar
- 5 drops eucalyptus
- 4 drops lavender
- 4 drops rosemary
- 1 drop peppermint
- 1 drop cinnamon
- 1 drop clove
Mosquito Repellent Directions:
- Mix the oil with these essential oils in a spray bottle. Spray liberally on your dog, especially around the legs.