DIY Herbal Cough Drops
Cold and flu season: it will really get you down. When you find an old coat in the closet that you haven’t worn in a year and find there are still cough drops in the pocket you cringe, and then thank your past self for thinking of the future and the horrible cough you will have.
Think about future self right now. You’re going to be coughing up a lung at some point, so why not make them a treat now and store it away for when you most need it? Buying Halls or Ricola from the store is just not fun, so get creative and make your own cough drops.
How To Make Cough Drops
Homemade Cough Drop Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup of water infused with herbs, or strong brewed tea
- 1 1/2 cups of Honey (can you feel your throat being soother already?)
- Candy thermometer
- Medium size sauce pan
- Silicone candy mold – or a pie pan and powdered sugar, this way is much more fun!
Homemade Cough Drop Recipe Directions
- Boil the water and infuse the herbs or steep the tea. Steep them for about 15 to 20 minutes and remove the bag/herbs.
- Pour the brew and honey into a sauce pan and turn on medium/high heat. Stir the mixture until it’s 300 degree. This should take about 30 minutes and if you lack a thermometer, go ahead and drop some of the mix into ice water. If it hardens right away, it’s ready to go! If it starts to foam and separate, it’s ready to go and needs to be removed from the heat.
- Pour this into your candy molds, sprayed with cooking oil, or into the powdered sugar molds. To make those, thickly layer the sugar in a pie pan and press the molds with something small.
- Let the drops cool until you can touch them. The the finished lozenges on a mat or parchment paper to cool. After they are completely cool, toss them in powdered sugar so they don’t get sticky in humidity. Use as needed.